I just found this excellent vegetarian/vegan resource and could not wait to share it with you. Send for your veggie starter pack. The link also includes great lists of vegan fast food items, vegan grocery items, list of meat/dairy substitutes and more. Let us all be more environmentally friendly, waistline kind (simple weight loss) and financially friendlier (beans are cheaper than meat) by eating more vegetarian meals. I am so excited to receive my FREE veggie starter pack (see link below in the next line)
Here is a great transition to whole grain recipe I like to make that is lact-ovo vegetarian or vegan. People that claim to hate brown rice will never know the difference in this recipe. Please note I like my rice pudding to be very firm. If you like a more soupy rice pudding or want to make it vegan, leave out the eggs.
Renee's Brown Rice Pudding
2 packages boil-in-bag brown rice *
3/4 cup can whole coconut milk [use 1/2 cup if using agave nectar to sweeten]
1/2 to 3/4 cup raw sugar [or 1/2 cup agave nectar]
1 TBSP pure vanilla extract
4 TBSP organic butter or vegan Earth Balance
1 small pinch of ground allspice or nutmeg
1 pinch cinnamon [optional]
NOTE: Because the coconut milk is so thick and creamy, you can add water to reach your desired consistency without affecting the taste.
* Boil-in-bag brown rice is simply brown rice that has been pre-cooked for a bit so it does not take as long as normal to cook. Normally people are turned off by the fact that brown rice takes a bit longer than white rice to cook. I like to recommend the boil-in-bag brown rice to help people transition to whole grains and learn to enjoy the taste and health benefits.
1. Cook brown rice according to package directions for 8-10 minutes. Add drained rice into a mixing bowl.
2. While the rice is still hot add other ingredients and stir until mixed well.
3. Coat a glass dish with spray olive oil or coconut oil. Place rice pudding mixture into a glass dish and bake for 30-35 minutes at 400 degrees.
4. Let cool or serve warm. Cut rice pudding into squares or scoop with a small ice cream scoop and garnish the serving plate with banana or mango for a cute presentation. Enjoy the creamy texture provided by the coconut milk.
Let me know how you like my rice pudding recipe. Enjoy.
"Many times when we are sick, we pray to God for healing.
Sometimes, the miracle of healing is the miracle of our obedience."
- Renee Lea-Currie, Ph.D., www.thetakebacktour.com
Renee Lea-Currie, Ph.D.