I know you, like me have read and heard about drinking water only between meals not with them. After gastric bypass surgery, patients are cautioned to drink water only between meals. However, there is much more information on the internet that is saddled with pseudo science reasoning as to why, so it gave me the perfect excuse to disregard the information and enjoy my juice.
But I made a startling realization this year since I began adding a new dimension to my personal participation in the Watertime Wednesdays I was emailing you guys about. Drinking water between meals has some wonderful delicious beautiful benefits!!! So I thought I would share 5 great pros as to why and how to successfully drink water between meals and be healthier. Keep these nearby when you are tempted to have a soda, coffee, or tea with your next meal. Save it for an occasional (this means 1 time per week or month) treat between meals.
1. MORE ROOM FOR REAL FOOD. Getting started, I simply eliminated all drinks but water with meals. No juice even. This leaves more room for extra food calories at mealtime. Whoo hoo! I quickly realized I would rather have a serving of my homemade peach cobbler or slice of my Daddy’s apple pie than drink a sad little glass of mere juice or soda that has the same or more calories. Juice vs REAL food? Renee's peach cobbler wins hands down.
2. BETTER TASTING FOOD. Getting up in the morning drinking a small glass of water first thing makes breakfast taste sooooo much better. When you are well hydrated with water, you will find that the flavors of your other meals are so much richer as well. You will need less salt to make food taste great. Hurray for lower blood pressure!
3. LITTLE OR NO SNACKING BINGES. Drinking water between meals means I feel like snacking much less (if at all) between meals. Less snacking, even on REAL foods, means FEWER CALORIES. FEWER calories equals MORE weight loss!
4. SMALLER WAISTLINE!!! Drinking water means I am not marginally dehydrated and am not so bloated. This means I can fasten/button my pants! Hey, after 2 kids and 15 years of marriage, this little button the pants thing has the makings of a great day!
5. TASTIER FOOD AND SMALLER WAISTLINE!!! Drinking water between meals means I need less salt/sodium on my food to make it taste great. Again the decrease in waist bloating due to high sodium intake water retention translates into buttoning the pants thing; it is so worth it! In this economy this saves money on new bigger clothes or being able to take advantage of bargains on smaller clothes.
So there you have 5 REAL WORLD, non-pseudo-science, delicious healthy reasons to abandon beverages with meals. Feel like you are addicted? You probably are. Start by reducing 1 non-water drink per day as you begin enjoying REAL food and the appearance of a waist again.
Drink lots of water anyway everyday! Great. Now try doing it ONLY between meals and see how it goes. Please let me know your victories and pitfalls so we can all learn how to live healthier together.
Here are 2 conditional freebies when you purchase Annie's Homegrown organic snacks. You can find the best price on these at Target and some Wal-Mart SuperCenters.
1. FREE all natural Next To Nature laxative sample. 1 request please.
2. FREE Annie's 2010 calendar when you enter an Annie's product UPC code for products purchased between 8/1 and10/31/2009.
3. FREE subscription to Vegetarian Times with UPC codes from 2 Annie's Naturals products.
Sometimes, the miracle of healing is the miracle of our obedience."
- Renee Lea-Currie, Ph.D., www.thetakebacktour.com