Want some healthy Valentine ideas that kids will actually eat and enjoy that does not cost you an arm and leg and does not give them cancer causing, ADHD triggering fake colors, preservatives and sweeteners? Try these kid approved Y.A.A.H gifts and give the gift of yummy health this year.
-Artificial colors in everything marketed for kids to trick our brains into believing the things we are buying, eating and "rewarding" our kids with resembles the real food and their colors on the front of the package. Artificial colors and preservatives have been linked with increasing ADHD symptoms in children and increasing hyperactive behavior in normal young children. I personally spoke with Dr. Stevenson in the UK in 2008 about this issue as he has been conducting this type of research for 20 years to convince people that we end up over medicating our children because we can't stop feeding them poison junk.
-Fruit roll ups and fruit snacks actually have no fruit and are just artificially colored sugar & gelatin (in North American from pig skin sourced) with vitamin C added.
-Trail mixes: BEWARE! BEWARE! BEWARE! Most contain artificially colored chocolate pieces, or hydrogenated fats, or artificial sweeteners.
-Yogurt covered raisins: Run, run, run away from this hydrogenated fat laden, high fructose corn syrup, and fake colored, filled junk masquerading as a healthy snack.
-Fruit flavored apple sauce: Why take a healthy delicious treat such as apple sauce and add artificial color to mimic fruit and/or artificial sweetener? Answer: to trick you. They do not even put in any other real fruit besides the apples.
HEALTHY TREATS: These individually wrapped snacks are suitable to add to a valentine card and are ALWAYS a huge hit with my kids, the youth at my church and every adult that has sampled them because they TASTE GREAT and are affordable! Try these for edible, affordable all real foods with no high fructose corn syrup, no fake colors, no fake sweeteners and no hydrogenated or interesterified fats. As always, stores are listed for where you can find them in central NC from lowest priced to highest.
a.k.a. “The Healthy Snack Lady”
14 Y.A.A.H. REAL Love treats
1. 8oz. 100% fruit juice boxes $1-3 Dollar Tree, Wal-Mart, Target, Food Lion, Harris Teeter
2. GoGo Squeez appleapple, Applesauce on the Go, 3.2-Ounce Pouches $0.77 each. Wal-Mart (green pouch with yellow top in the checkout lane)
3. Nature's Path Toaster pastries 3 2pks (6/box total) $2.22 Wal-Mart Super Center, $3-4 Food Lion, Kroger, Whole Foods 4. Chiquita Bites, fresh fruit $1 & up Wal-Mart, Food Lion, Kroger, Lowes' Foods
5. Kashi TLC cereal bars 8/pk $2.75-4 Wal-Mart, Target, Food Lion, CVS, Lowe's Foods, Harris Teeter, Kroger, Whole Foods
6. Kashi TLC trail mix bars 8/pk $2.75-4 Wal-Mart, Target, Food Lion, CVS,Lowe's Foods, Harris Teeter, Kroger, Whole Foods 7. Quaker Simple Harvest or Nature's Valley granola bars 8/pk $2.75-4 Wal-Mart, Target, Food Lion, CVS, Lowe's Foods, Harris Teeter, Kroger
8. Stash honey straws, natural clover 20/pk $4 Super Target, Kroger, amazon.com
9. Stash agave nectar straws 20/pk $4 Super Target, Kroger [remember agave nectar has a few small studies showing it is a great low glycemic natural sweetener for diabetics] 10. FruitaBu Fruit Twirls 6/pk (strawberry, apple, grape) $3-5 Wal-Mart Super Center, Target, Kroger 11. Dole or Del Monte canned fruit in 100% fruit juice 4/pk $2-4 Big Lots, Wal-Mart, Target, Food Lion, Lowe's Foods, Harris Teeter 12. Peanut Butter & Co. Peanut Butter and Dark Chocolate Dreams Peanut Butter 1 oz pouches $0.66 each Wal-Mart Super Center ( in peanut butter aisle) 13. Yummy Earth organic lollipops. Fruit juice sweetened yummy treat to keep on hand for all kid friendly events. Whole Foods, natural food stores, Amazon.com [best deal: 200+ lollipops $6-21] 14. Clif Kid Z bars $3-4 Wal-Mart, Target, Whole Foods, Kroger
The Take Back Tour is a Health Ministry of the Philadelphia Seventh Day Adventist Church , Burlington , NC . e-mail: takebacktour@ yahoo.com. www.thetakebacktour.com